SSAA Victoria members are being called upon to volunteer for the 2017 SSAA SHOT Expo at the Melbourne Showgrounds on Saturday, May 20 and Sunday, May 21. Several members have already applied to carry out volunteer roles at the Expo’s shooting ranges, the SSAA stand and the R-licence hall. However, we still have many more opportunities for people who want to contribute.
We are looking for volunteers for the following:
- FLOATING VOLUNTEERS: Four floating volunteer positions are available. These volunteers must be confident meeting new people, be very flexible and have good initiative. The role of these volunteers will be to go to any areas where additional support is required. It could mean helping with the R-licence hall for a short time, covering for someone at the range administration desk or helping at the SSAA stand. When these volunteers are not required to be anywhere else, they will need to walk through the area and help anyone looking lost, encourage people to visit the SSAA stand or promote the ranges.
- Available shifts: Saturday 9am to 1pm; Saturday 1pm to 5pm; Sunday 9am to 1pm; or Sunday 1pm to 5pm
- BUCKHUNTER HELPER: One position is available at the SSAA Victoria stand for a person who can manage the Buckhunter arcade game. This person will be required to encourage people to play on the machine and ensure everyone has the opportunity to have a go. This person may be required to play the game with visitors.
- Available shifts: Saturday 1pm to 5pm or Sunday 1pm to 5pm
- R-LICENCE HELPER: One position is available at the R-licence hall for a volunteer to support the LEAP trainers and people undergoing testing. This role involves cleaning up papers and mess, straightening chairs and tables, showing people to their seats and helping people understand the testing process. It requires no understanding of the actual R-licence content as the accredited trainers are there.
- Available shifts: Saturday 1pm to 5pm or Sunday 9am to 1pm
- OUTDOOR RANGE ADMINISTRATION: Two positions are available to volunteers who can assist the outdoor SSAA NSW and VAPA shooting ranges. The people selected for this task will be required to sit at the sign-in desk and ensure everyone who wants to use the ranges registers. They will also be required to ensure any children using the range are aged 12 or above and they have written parental permission. All paperwork will be provided.
- Available shifts: Saturday 9am to 1pm; Saturday 1pm to 5pm; or Sunday 1pm to 5pm
All volunteers are provided with a branded polo shirt, entry to the Expo for the full-day they volunteer, a free lunch and exhibitor parking. They also go in the draw to win one of the volunteer giveaways, which have a combined value of $1340. The minor prizes include a sponsor prize pack valued at $500 and a SSAA Springvale Pistol Shoot, which can be used by the winner or given away as a present.
The major volunteer prize is a three-night stay at Cow Grass Lodge in Jamieson – a private getaway in the High Country. A short walk from the back fence of this hunter-friendly accommodation and visitors will be in prime Sambar country. The owner is offering a supported stay, with an invitation to meet in Melbourne prior to the stay to discuss hunting opportunities and the accommodation. He has also offered to run a clay target shoot on one of the days the winners stay at the lodge. It comes with just two conditions – it must be booked from Friday to Monday, excluding public holidays, and it must be booked well in advance.
Email Marketing and Communications Manager Caitlin Pearson on firstname.lastname@example.org the following information:
- Your SSAA member number.
- Your contact details – email and phone number.
- Nominated shift (including day and time) and role
- Proof of your Working with Children Check or a commitment to get one before Friday, May 12.
- A back-up shift you are able to do in the case of high demand.